President Barack Obama served time in office from 2009 to 2017, and he implemented a number of reforms that were the solution to a wide variety of the nation’s problems. Many of these reforms were grants that made the lives of single moms easier.
With all the financial assistance programs offered by the federal government, these Obama single mother loans and grants took the burden off the shoulders of single mothers.
Obama Single Mother Loans: An Overview:
- Initiated during his presidency, Obama single mother loans offer financial independence to single mothers who wish to bounce back.
- These loans offer assistance in various aspects of life, including housing, education, and bill payments.
- The Obama grant for single mothers is a temporary safety net for single moms who are facing a financial crisis. They can sustain themselves and survive through grants like TANF and Energy grants.
Obama Single Mother Loans
While there are claims that there were loans called Obama single mother loans, those claims are entirely false. There were indeed initiatives taken to support people in need, but no grant programs were launched specifically for single moms. The financial assistance programs that were established during his presidency that also helped single moms were:
- Federal Student Aid
- There were educational grants before Obama’s presidency, but they weren’t as generous. President Obama accelerated the functioning of these grants. The funding for these programs was also increased.
- This aid also includes grants like Pell Grants. They are helpful for students who are unable to afford higher education. The best part about this aid is that you do not need to repay it.
- Paid Family Leave
- During Obama’s presidency, the United States did not have a federal paid family leave policy, but he advocated for and supported state-level efforts to implement paid family leave laws.
- These laws enable new parents, including single mothers, to get paid time off to care for their newborns or adoptive children. This is one of those lesser-known Obama single mother loans that helped many single mothers raise their kids without choosing between work/ education and family.
- Affordable Care Act (ACA)
- The ACA, also known as Obamacare, expanded access to healthcare and insurance coverage for millions of Americans, including single mothers.
- It stops the insurance companies from denying coverage based on pre-existing conditions, allows young adults to stay on their parent’s insurance plans until they are 26, and provides subsidies to help low-income individuals and families afford insurance.
- The law provides consumers with subsidies, or “premium tax credits,” that lower costs for households with incomes between 100% and 400% of the federal poverty level (FPL).
- Child Care Development Block Grant
- The Obama administration reinstated the CCDBG, which provided funding to states to improve the quality and availability of childcare services, making them more affordable and accessible for single mothers who needed to work or attend school.
- This Obama grant for single moms is offered to families and single moms with children under 13 in their households.
- CCDBG subsidies do not cover the total cost of child care, meaning childcare providers’ total costs aren’t met, and families are usually required to pay a copay.
Read Also: 10 Best Loan For Single Mothers
- Equal Pay Initiatives
- Obama advocated for equal pay for equal work and signed the Lilly Ledbetter Fair Pay Act into law in 2009.
- This law extended the time period during which an employee could file a pay discrimination lawsuit and aimed to address the gender wage gap, benefiting many single mothers who were the sole breadwinners for their families.
- In April 2014, President Obama signed an Executive Order to prevent workplace discrimination and empower workers to take control over negotiations regarding their pay.
- Small Business Loans
- For all business-minded single moms, these loans work wonders. Through proper research, you can get the boost your business requires. You can get a microloan through Section 7(a) or 504.
- It is important that your business meets the set standards and you fulfill all the eligibility requirements to get the necessary help from the government.
- My Brother’s Keeper Initiative
- Although this initiative primarily focused on improving outcomes for young men of color, it indirectly aimed to support single mothers by addressing issues such as education, job training, and community resources that could benefit their families.
- My Brother’s Keeper Initiative works on 6 simple milestones. Along with this, the program also advocates for opportunities for women through its Girls Opportunity Alliance program. This is one of those Obama single mom grants that empower females across the world through education, allowing them to achieve their full potential.
Obama Grant For Single Moms
During his presidency, President Obama advocated for and implemented several resourceful initiatives that worked in favor of the needy, low-income, elderly, disabled, and, most importantly, single mothers. These initiatives were not only loans but grants that worked towards enabling women in various sectors of their lives, like education, careers, and caregiving.
Along with these assistance programs, the citizens also benefited from the Obama grant for single moms. These grants allowed single moms to get back on their feet without financially depending on family or friends.
- Clean Energy Grants
- The clean energy grants aimed at increasing the use of renewable energy, and through the grants, the federal government offered resources to those deemed eligible.
- Grants like the Weatherization Grants, Energy Star program, and others fall under the category of Clean Energy Grants, and these grants offer preference to single mothers, which can benefit you.
- Temporary Assistance for Needy Families (TANF)
- One of the most known and used assistance programs, TANF, is a lifesaver for many single mothers. The program offers single moms financial assistance and the required support until they are back on their feet.
- The eligibility of this Obama grant for single moms may vary from state to state. The grant criteria also include the size of your household and its total income held against the Federal Poverty Guidelines.
TANF or WAP and several other Obama single moms grants also assist single mothers in various sectors of life. For instance, single moms get preference in housing assistance programs. They also benefit from the personal loans and assistance programs administered by non-profit organizations like the Salvation Army and Catholic Charities.
The Final Word
Single mothers are superwomen who take care of everything and everyone at the same time. Often they fall short financially and find it hard to make ends meet. For them, when finance is the problem, Obama single mother loans are the solution. These grants empower them to meet their potential and live a peaceful life.
Frequently Asked Questions
How to know if I’m eligible for the Obama single mother loans?
While these loans are called Obama single mother loans only because they were launched during his presidency, and the federal government administers them, you must search for them on the official government grant website.
If you find them there, you can also get all the related details, including deadlines, application forms, eligibility criteria, and documents that are to be submitted.
Are the Obama single moms grants legit?
There are several rumors about the legitimacy of these grants. However, these grants are 100% legit as they are still administered by the federal government. There may have been slight alterations in the application process or the grant amount, but you can research them through grants.gov.
What is the application process for the Obama grant for single moms?
Every grant has its own specific process for application and selection. However, the general idea of applying anywhere is the same. You look for their official website or visit their office personally. You fill out the application form with all your true details, attach the required documents, and submit them without fail before the deadline.